Category Archives: compost

Cycles: Further Decomposition, I forgot about these ones.

 

So I placed these in the compost bin a while ago, and the promptly forgot about them.  In some spots the image is mostly latent.  Nearly completely gone, the staining came out with very interesting patterns on the print.  I am happy with these as well just thought it came out well.

Advertisements

Revisiting Cycles: Composting the Prints

So when I was working on the cycles project I made some C-Type prints of all photos I took of the jars.  Cycles had always been a project I wanted to go on for a while and it led me to create a small home compost jar for my kitchen waste.  Inspired by Matthew Brandt I decided to add the prints to the pile.

I added the photos to the compost on March 1st and pulled them out of the compost on the 5th and was pleasantly surprised by the changes in only a few days.  Large swathes of red are now apparent on the print, oranges and yellows are streaked amongst  the previously high key greens and browns.  The white has been stained in a great umber color.

Overall I am very happy with these results and will do it with the remainder of the prints.  I am very curious to see what may happen as the the compost continues to break down will different chemical compounds reveal themselves and effect the print.  Also the compost is extremely moist right now and I am waiting to see what will happen as it dries out.

 

Cycles Day 70

 

The 10 week mark…Still stagnant, not a whole lot of change in either jar at this point, and if anything the plants are looking slightly weaker again.  I made the decision to leave them in the growing jar for another week for two reasons.  I am hoping that next week they will appear stronger again and in order to get a good layout on the grid part of the project.  I did not like the grid that came out this week.

Again these jars appear to be reflective of life for me.  Existing in some sort of strange holding pattern with minor movements forward, but no complete collapse at the same time.  No leaps and bounds of change.  Maybe the transplant see big change is what they need to move forward.  Or maybe it will be the death of them.

Cycles Day 63

Well with in growing the friends in the jar have improved over the last week.  I know the post is late, but I swear I have been taking the photos as scheduled.

So bringing them inside helped, I guess some times in life we all need a little shelter from the external elements that are affecting our well being.  I think the Compost Jar is at its end point there has been little to no change over the last couple weeks.

I think that the plan for me know is to call this particular project done next week.  I will do 2 final photographs next week and then start a new side project, (side project 1 is deceased as stated before, still figuring out how to photograph empty planters).  I will combine the contents of the jars into a new vessel, and I will probably start another larger project.  Not quite sure yet what cycles 2 will be but I have a few ideas

Cycle Day 21

Cycles is moving forward nicely.  Things are continuing to progress as i had hoped they would.  My basil is growing like crazy, however I think I may have to open the growing jar in order to allow the plants to continue to grow.  Also i started doing some research (Probably should have done more prior to planting) and I am going to need to thin out the plants.  I plan to add this is as a secondary project to Cycles.

Cycles is starting to take on a bit of life of its own.  More and more am I thinking of other things to add into the project.  This started out as project that was intended to be confined to a constantly growing and a composting jar.  I thought that perhaps i would start adding new jars in as the compost became soil.  But now I am thinking that this project can live on a little more and grow a little more to be encompassing of more life and death cycles.

Cycle Day 7, Amazing Changes in the First Week

I have been monitoring the terrariums daily, watching for changes in the environments.  I tried to make some decisions on how i was going to forward with this, how often was i going to photograph them, in order to show change.  I decided weekly at the beginning of the project, but as i monitor daily I may adjust the schedule if something exciting happens and choose to photograph at a different time.

So the compost was significantly less volume in one week, and I already have some significant growth of the seeds.  I have not needed to water the plants at all the soil is still plenty moist as well as the compost.  This is very exciting and seems to be progressing nicely.

I realized in my last post I did not describe what was in the jars.

Compost Jar (from bottom up)- rocks, activated charcoal, organic moss, organic soil, orange peal (fresh and dried), egg shells, tea bags, coffee grounds, yard waste green and dried.

Growth Jar (from bottom up)- rocks, activated charcoal, moss, organic soil,  basil seeds, purple basil seeds, chive seeds

The first layer of rocks, activated charcoal, moss, provide for drainage and filtering of the water that is in the environment.

The only thing I have done to these since the beginning is to mix the compost before photographing.  After researching compost in order to achieve best results you should turn the pile.